UNIX Systems Manager,
Alstom Energy Technology Centre, Leicester, UK
- Unix system management and administration for a large network of HP Workstations
and Servers, primarily used by a large number of Engineers involved in the
design and analysis of Gas Turbines for the Power Generation and Aero-Engine
business of Alstom. This network currently consists of approximately 150 Workstations
and Servers running HP-UX 9.X and 10.X.
- Management of HP-UX File Servers using HP Advanced Server to provide services
to a large number of NT clients , running both Office Automation products (MS
Office, Lotus Notes, etc), Project Planning tools, and Engineering applications.
- Network configuration of the Company's network through use of tools such
as DNS, DHCP & BOOTP.
- Technical Development of Company Intranet through management of Apache
Web Servers, provision of CGI scripts written in Perl interfacing to data stored
in RDBMS databases (Oracle, Mysql).
- Ensuring security of company data through reliablilty of regular backups
and archiving, using HP Omniback II.
- Consultant on the purchase of both workstation and server hardware and
- Training of new staff for systems administration rôle
- Installation of additional Public Domain software to provide a tool-rich
environment for Workstation users.
- Management of Software Applications available to HP-UX user base. The primary
applications managed are
- Software Engineer in Software Engineering Department, developing graphical
Engineering Thermal Analysis tools based on C/X11/Motif/Oracle/PHIGS. Principle
work performed included:-
- Design and implementation of a significant part of ESARAD (European Space
Agency Radiative Analysis Tool). ESARAD is the European Space Agency's primarily
tool for performing Radiative Thermal Analysis of spacecraft, and consists
of a suite of programs for performing all aspects of the analysis, these parts
being linked by a Oracle database. Each component of the suite consists of
a Motif GUI, with one of the components of the suite also using PHIGS for 3-D
visualization of spacecraft model and results. My primary rôle was for this
visualisation aspect of ESARAD, as well as being the primarily consultant on
the GUI aspects of the suite.
- Oracle DBA for database used by ESARAD.
Dec 1986 - Apr 1991
Self-Employed, working for:- IKOSS GmbH, STUTTGART, GERMANY Working at:
European Space Research & Technology Centre (ESTEC), Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
Software consultant to Thermal Control and Life Support Division. ESTEC
is one of the establishments of the European Space Agency (ESA), responsible
for technical development of both ESA's commercial and scientific programs.
- Installation, maintenance and development of system software and thermal
application software for UNIX based (Hewlett Packard 300,800 Series and SUN
3/80) workstations linked via an Ethernet network, running the X Windows system.
- Provision of user support in the use of thermal applications software (ESATAN,
VWHEAT, CBTS) on UNIX systems, and also on VAX/VMS and IBM VM/CMS systems.
- Provision of user support in the use of specialised software packages for
tasks such as document preparation (FrameMaker, Eroff, Tex), spreadsheets (Lotus
123, WingZ), and results post-processing Cricket Graph, Dataviews), on UNIX
and Macintosh systems.
- Provision of user support in the use of most commonly available UNIX
utilities and packages. E.g. Bourne & Korn shell programming, vi, Emacs,
awk, sed, sendmail, MH-mail, Perl, etc.
- Provision of user support in the use of the X Windows system.
- Participation in formulation and specification of work for external software
contracts and its monitoring.
- In-house prototype design and development of new software, including
- VuVu: A graphical package for the creation and visualisation of 3-D geometric
models of satelittes, and their orbits, for use by thermal radiation packages.
This package has been developed in C using a combination of X Windows version
X11R4 with the OSF/MOTIF Widget Set, and HP Starbase Graphics Library.
- Tab2view: A package for graphical analysis of results obtained from thermal
analysis software, written in C and based upon the commercial package Dataviews.
- PCHESA: Extension to the VWHEAT/ESATAN filter program PCHESA, to handle
ESATAN modeling and sub-modelling concepts.
- m2e: A filter to translate model geometries as defined for CBTS (Columbus
Thermal Bridging Software), input an ESARAD language file. Written in C.
- Integration and porting of software between UNIX, IBM VM/CMS, and VAX/VMS
(FORTRAN and C). Specific programs ported include:-
- ESATAN from HP 9000/800,to IBM VM/CMS system.
- CBTS from VAX/VMS to HP 9000/800.
- Data Base Administrator for Oracle RDBMS used for storage and maintenance
of Thermal Model structures, properties and results.
- Development of embedded SQL programs for above applications using Oracle
- Management and provision of networking services such as electronic mail
and USENET news to local users and other sites around estec.
- Distribution of ESA owned and maintained thermal programs, such as VWHEAT,
and other in-house developments, to European space industries.
UNIX System Administrator, Computation Department, UMIST, Manchester,
England. Duties involved:-
- the administration and maintenance of all UNIX system software, running
on several computers within the Computation department, used for post-graduate
and staff research work. The machines and operating systems administered
- VAX 11/750 running BSD 4.2 UNIX.
- A network of APOLLO workstations (9 nodes) running DOMAIN/IX (both System
V and BSD 4.2 variants).
- PDP 11/34 & 11/22 running Version 7 UNIX. GEC 63 running System V.2
- Day-to-Day management of these systems include resource allocation and
liaison with manufacturers.
- Development of new software at system level, to support specialised hardware
used by various research groups.
- Providing support to user community.
Easams Ltd, Lyon Way, Camberley, Surrey, England. Development of mathematical
models of missile flight, and their simulation by FORTRAN programs, for various
British Ministry of Defence projects.